Saturday, January 06, 2007

Eye Eye

I had my annual review for my eyes at the end of December. It was a warm day for December. My partner came with me even though I could have gone alone. I really like it when he comes because feel, well supported. Not to say that he isn’t wonderful and the number of appointments I have he couldn’t make all of them without using all his annual leave. So I saw a Miss and told them I was pregnant so they only gave me one eye drop. I had my eye, the one with the tumour on the optic nerve photographed and then scanned because of the maclia issue. I asked if I could talk to the main man. Mr Webster. I’m happy to name him because I think he is brilliant, they all are there actually. As my partner pointed out, they speak to you with respect and don’t patronise. They use medical language and make it clear. So the crunch, when Mr Webster spoke to me he said the tumour had grown. It’s been the same size for years now, but u have noticed a slight change in my vision in that eye so I wasn’t totally surprised. But he did say that there is anecdotal evidence that pregnancy can make tumours grow. So previously id been told the only treatment is laser and that would damage my sight because of the position of the tumour. The good news is that in America they had been working on a medication that will sort the tumour out and make it go away. ‘Is that oral medication?’ I asked, really what was I thinking?
‘No, that will be an injection in the eye.’ Right! I didn’t ask anymore, I can’t have it till after the baby is born so I’m happy to wait until nearer the time to ask if I’m awake when they do it, I bet you have to be.

Happy New Year by the way.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hello,
how are you/
well my names Greta and i have VHL too, im 16. i dont kno how old you are. but i was reading ur blogs and came accross this one. my sister has tumours on hr optic nerve also however shes already blind in one eye so this meant bad news. she has to have injections into the eye. Andd unfortunately you are awake. she copes with them quite fine.
So dont worry about it too much.
Have you had any tumours on your spine?
i have afew hemangioblastomas at the moment and im really nervous about having them removed. do you kno if there are any new medications or any other way then surgery? cos in australia there isnt.
anyway id liek to keep in contact so please add me on hotmail and email me sometime. g.r.e.t.t.y@hotmail.com