Friday, December 23, 2016

Christmas

Another one. My little girl is excited and that's the important bit. I think, all things considered though that Christmas just won't ever be as good as when I was little.  This proves how happy I was. I really was. My early childhood was the best. We weren't rich, we lived in a small home with a yard, we didn't eat the best things and I didn't have loads of friends but I remember being very happy. I loved my parents, I enjoyed school, my brother and sister provided me with a great balance of fun and fear and we had a great dog.
I was so very happy.
Memories of kicking the bunkbed above, playing and smiling, singing and celebrating.
Occasions like Christmas were all about anticipation and joy.  The routine of it all was so much of joy. Wanting something for so long and then getting it (or the closest version my parents could afford)
The tradition of stocking, church, sherry, gifts, food, playing, gifts and TV. Always that order, always great.
I don't have that any more.
I miss the traditional way and I know I'll never get it back.
As my always foretold... Everything passes.

No comments: