Friday, April 09, 2021

hearing no

 I had a moment, suddenly seeing something I have read about and always thought, how could anyone do that, I don't understand. 

It was about consent and it was a young girl. A friend was leaving and as a gesture of kindness the father of the little girl, suggested she give this man, a man she knows and as far as I am aware likes, a goodbye kiss and cuddle. She didn't want to. Her father seemed annoyed, she should do this. She didn't want to. I suggested a very loving hand shake, my third glass of wine of the avenging warming my courage. Not only was I ignored but the father picked up his daughter, taking away her free will and placed her into the man's lap. She squirmed and wriggled, he hadn't heard the pervious exchange, and surprised by a child suddenly in his lap, he laughed. She called out "no". 

I called out, loud so she and he would hear, loud to show I got it, loud to help her, loud so my daughter, next to me saw me act, heard me do what I say we should all do. 

"Ah well, no means no, right!" the man, my friend, quickly, gently placed her on the ground, expecting nothing more from her. Her father was cross, and to distract he pushed forward his son, slightly older and he was instructed to give that handshake. 

I was stunned and worried - my daughter was as shocked as me and pleased I had said something. 

There, here, we saw it. It happens so easily, so quickly the lines of society tell woman you are an object to be give, your voice doesn't matter. I hope she heard me. 

No comments: