Monday, July 31, 2006

Writing a will

I wrote a will when I was 17. 

It wasn’t a fully legal one with a solicitor or anything like that but I was thinking that now I’m a homeowner I should do a proper one. I’ve lost the other one, it was on the computer we had at my parent’s house. I didn’t have much to leave behind but I remember thinking about my diaries and any jewellery I liked. I think I was going to donate my violin to my old primary school. When I think about it now, I’d just have more stuff to give away and now it would go to my partner and then he’d sort out what to do. But that was the unimportant side of it, the important part was to help people who would be left know what my last wishes were.

When my brother died we didn’t know exactly what he would have wanted. ‘Not to be dead’ someone said at the time. I’m not sure that was completely true. If my brother got his way death is an adventure and he’s ‘still travelling’ as it says on his gravestone. What did he want? He mattered a bit at the time but I think we did him proud, as with many funerals of the too young the church was packed, standing room only and some people had to be outside. My uncle spoke about him and although I knew how great he was I don’t think everyone there quite realised just how great. He was cremated and some of the ashes were buried, some were scattered in other places. I want to be cremated and the ashes can be spread wherever you (loved ones left over) like. So what do I want? Well a packed church would be nice and my eulogy needs to sounds like the truth. And I want the truth to be that I have lived the life I wanted to and helped others while doing it. I’d like to think that I was a good enough teacher to warrant some of my students, past and present, turning up and I want to be missed. I’d like to think that I leave behind hope though. A grand idea I know but that’s something worth lasting.

No comments: