Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Hatfield-McCoy Feud caused by Von Hippel-Lindau - my arse

There has been coverage of this story for a few days now. I'm really surprised by the number pf people who are interested in the story. I don't know why but it annoyed me. I think because I don't want this disease labelled a 'rage disease' I mean, really!

So I’ve commented on a few blogs about it. I saw on one that the VHL alliance have done there bit too see this

Good Old Joyce said “VHL does not cause rage, or even hormonal issues. It may lead to one of six different kinds of tumours, only one of which causes hormonal issues. A "pheo", a tumour of the adrenal gland, can cause surges of adrenaline, that fight-or-flight response that when you need it is great. It gives you extra speed and strength in an emergency. But injected into your body at random intervals, it can feel like a panic attack or palpitations. Very rarely is it interpreted as rage.

Might it have been a factor in the feud? Possibly. But don't forget that the Hatfields do not get pheos and they participated just as wholeheartedly in the feuding. There's a very strong component of culture and environment operating here in addition to the undiagnosed medical issue.

Having a medical problem is NOT an excuse for bad behavior. Everyone occasionally has bad days, or feelings of rage. Fortunately, few of us act on them. We are all still responsible for our actions.

Best wishes,
Joyce Graff
Executive Director
VHL Family Alliance
800-767-4845 or www.vhl.org


Bit maybe all publicity is a good thing.

1 comment:

Beverly said...

Hi!

I sent an email to the writer of the article, explaining that we appreciate press about the disease. I also explained a little about the disease and why we feel that it is not a "rage" disease.

She emailed me back and said that most people wouldn't consider it a genetic "cancer" disease since only 10% of the kidney tumors are malignant. What? I think she's confusing the adrenal gland and the kidneys, which makes me wonder why she's writing articles pertaining to health!

I've contacted a few local papers but have heard nothing back. I guess that if it's not sensationalized, then it's not worth printing.

Hope the baby is doing well!