Friday, February 23, 2018

While I'm swimming he's drowning.

I feel a lazy sort of guilt right now. I'm sat reading, g&t in hand and looking over the lake. Like I've run away. Which I think I have. My mum and sister, meanwhile are at my dad's side, battling again with the fact that he's in hospital, again. Am I allowed to do this?

I am anyway.

Bad daughter.

This time I found out via WhatsApp. My preferred way of knowing he's ill again.

I tell myself, I wouldn't be there. I'd be in London. Only leave if he looked like it was the end. The real end.

I secretly said to myself today. Hold on until July dad. Let me see you one more time. I didn't take you seriously when you said it would probably be the last time we saw each other.

And what would I want from my child?

Honestly, not for her to fuck off half way round the world. But I know too, I don't want her to be trapped like my mum and sister.

And the inevitable fear and hope that if he wants to, then times up. I wonder how and if he does want it to end. I recall him acknowledging the wishes of his father. He didn't want a slow undignified drowning into mental oblivion with dribble on his chin. Heart attack. I think he got his wish. Too late for a fast exit for my dad. I wonder too if he keeps agreeing to operations so that one, finally completes the cycle. Put to sleep gently. Like so many of our dogs.

I wish I knew.

I can't ask.

When I do, I don't think he tells me the truth. And that might be because he doesn't know himself, or he doesn't like his truth.

I don't think I'll ever know.

No comments: