Wednesday, March 07, 2018

Other peoples tumours

The first time it occurred to me to look up VHL online I was thrilled. A sense that it really did exist, rare but real.
Then the day I realised there was a group.
Not only was I real but there are more people than I could have imagined.
I connected with a couple of people. I'm still connected to some.
And now it's Facebook.
But now I read about the VHL community and I know I'm not alone. I don't feel rare but I feel the inevitable.
We advise each other, we share fear and pain and we see scars. A lot of people pray for each other. That's how many justify the experience. But I'm doing a good job of ignoring my potential tumour growth. But I see each one.
I suspect we all do, see the next operation, dreading the results of the next scan.

No comments: