Sunday, November 10, 2019

Telling new people

As a teacher this is an annual event.
I don't gather any new students or staff around me and say... to understand me here's the list of scars and tumours, resected and remaining you should be aware of, but maybe I should.

Part of me thinks that no-one need ever know but there are stories, moments, medical wrist bands that signal a difference, and recently it's been the mental health side of my journey that has been most valid to express. Not least to acknowledge that I'm fine with my lot, today but there have been days where I wasn't.
It's a useful vulnerability as so many of us have the hidden battles and unseen scars of a life full of fear, anxiety, depression and stress. Seeing me strong and seeing me weaker is normal. I am a leader and I think there is so much importance in owning your faults, failures and struggles.
Here I am trying to do my best and sometimes I fall short and so do you. So let's try again together.



No comments: