Friday, August 19, 2022

More cancer - not mine

 I see her as a reflection of my story in some ways. We met at an NCT group, our children just weeks in age apart. they still laugh and play together now, even if it is on Minecraft and 8000km apart. 

She had a brain tumour removed not that long ago and has just had emergency surgery to remove cancer in her bowel. 

It is perhaps what my story could have looked like if I'd been the first in my family. But because I'm not, because of that clever Dr, who asked my dad the right questions and joined the dots, I get scanned and screened. I get to find out slowly and before (usually) it gets too dangerous. I have the luxury of waiting and not always knowing but at least I do. 

I want to wrap her in my arms and tell her it's all going to be ok, and it has to be, for her and for her boy. They got most of it. She'll do chemo. She is one tough cookie. I wish she didn't have to be. 

So I will wait - happily lucky that I get to

No comments: