Friday, August 07, 2015

Telling your child you have a brain tumour

I'm posting a lot today as I've been saving these up.

We discussed telling our daughter of the latest news and I decided it best to make it a matter of fact kind of deal. So a week ago as we were in her bedroom I decided to tell her. We lay on her bed and I said something like "you know when you were at Grandma's last week and I went to the hospital well they told me I have another tumour they need to do something about."

As part of the conversation she asked if I was going to die. Now then, I've always been clear with her that we all die and I don't want her to ever think I lied about it, I said that wasn't the plan, that the Doctors had found this one and were going to do something about it.  I told her about when I had one removed before and reminded her that I had had the kidney tumour removed and I'm fine now.

I told her it wasn't a secret and she could talk to me, dad or anyone else about it but reminded her most people wouldn't really get it but if she wanted to talk about it she could.

We both cried a bit, I tried not to but it happened anyway.

She hasn't seemed bothered about it since, I think I handled it well.

No comments: