Tuesday, August 09, 2016

It's a no VSO

I got the following email today, it was going to be my next chapter, it was going to be a way to take a different direction. Now I have to think again. VHL getting in the way, not allowing me to move on, not letting me be who I was hoping to be. I feel really frustrated and I feel like I've let my husband down. 
I cried when I read it. 
I thought it would be ok. 
I was wrong. 

Thank you for your email and I apologise for the delay in reply.

In view of your medical condition, I am sorry that I think it would be difficult to find a VSO placement for you which would be able to provide appropriate medical support should you become ill at placement. 

Although it may be possible to travel annually to have follow up such as MRI checks, I would be much more concerned about you becoming ill at placement where medical facilities tend to be very poorly resourced.  Unfortunately the lack of adrenal glands means that you could become very ill very quickly if not given the correct medical management. 

Infections, including gastroenteritis, are fairly common at placement.  The increased support you would need in combination with very limited medical facilities and difficult logistics of moving you to medical care, mean that this could pose a significant risk to your health.

I therefore feel that a placement with VSO would be unwise.

I am sorry that this may come as a disappointment.

Best wishes

Susanna

No comments: