Monday, January 21, 2019

Letters to my dad

something unexpected and rather wonderful has begun to happen. My dad, when he has the physical and emotional energy, has started up a real conversation with me via email. 
He says things and I reply. 

I love it, I love him asking about my thoughts. I love hearing his. I was reminded the other day how when he and my mum had spilt up and we would have an afternoon together, how hard it was to talk, let alone communicate. That's how I remember we started to talk about and cook food. Something we both enjoyed and it gave us a way of being together. 

I hope this conversation continues, I can love this father and eagerly await his responses, questions and thoughts. 

This is my most recent reply... you'll have to guess what he said because that's between him and me. 



I don't go anymore, mainly because I think organised religion isn't for me.  I think I do have faith, or perhaps hope. I hope there is another step or stage, I really hope it's got some things that are better than this one. And I suppose it is more wishful thinking. I feel the church gave me some really positive things but mainly a bad thing, guilt and with that a level of insecurity that is very hard to shift. I suffer from very low self esteem that isn't something I carry openly, I come across as very sure and confident, but I sometimes wake up with an almost crippling sense of shame and self doubt. Then I have a word with myself, and try and get on with the day. 
Over the years I learnt to protect myself  from myself. the psychotherapy really helped with that. I surround myself with people who get me and love me unconditionally. I wish my sister was one of them but she confirmed at my birthday party that she doesn't think very highly of me. 

So  - religion makes it too hard to be positive and I don't think a the god I was told about exists but I want to believe there is a spiritual element to us and this life and then maybe another one. 

No comments: