Monday, June 10, 2019

Returning

Returning sooner than expected and it has been a beautiful thing.

I haven't seen or felt a single moment of resentment or doubt, just pleasure and joy, genuine happiness that all turned out to be good. This time.

I returned before expected once before, also with a kidney cancer related issue. This was the one that got to me the most. It was in the year I had intended to attempt to become a member of SLT somewhere, anywhere, well not quite I had some parameters but it was the right time, I was Head of Year for Year 11, they would be on their way into 6th form or other parts of the world and I didn't fancy starting again with another year group. I wanted the step up, I knew I was ready and then at the same time I couldn't move forward with the knowledge that cancer was in me. It was my first experience of cancer, my first sense that the cells in my body were not just in an awkward place but that they might try and eat up my good cells, that they wanted to spread that they were truly an enemy within. Torn by this knowledge and beginning to break from it I had explained I wanted it all taken out.
Get it out.

And then I had my consultation with the surgeon, and his flippancy didn't change the reality that this was major surgery and not an easy one at that. The location, right near the renal artery made this very serious. I picked a date that had minimum impact on work on my students and I signed the triplicate form anyway. I had no choice.

I sat having some bloods done, and a well meaning nurse said something about preparing for the worst. I was shaken and afraid and suddenly felt my time was genuinely limited.

As is my way, I began to prepare and ignore all at the same time. I applied for jobs regardless and wrote a diary to my daughter. I checked my will and agreed to events post surgery, I did both but I was convinced that the date given in December would be my last.

I wasn't myself, those of you who know my husband will know I can't have been, he was worried about me, he showed it and said it. I was worried about me. I set my cover and

I arrived, gown on, cannula in arrow and R written on my side, the white compression stockings adorned my feet, the fog thick outside and the hospital lights harsh. I had said my goodbyes, written my  final letters to my nearest and dearest and given important instructions, most important of all, don't let her forget me.

And then, we can't do it today, there are no beds in HDU, you can't go straight to a ward, we'll re-arrange. The fog of that cold December morning had hidden other peoples fate from view and the emergency surgery list had increased. Someone else had taken my place and I was so relieved. I hope they survived the day and I knew now I would.

I dressed and numbly told my mum, sister and husband and we went to Sainsbury's cafe for a cup of tea. I'd been nil by mouth so I had food too. And as the realisation cleared like the fog outside I found myself with a life that needed living. Once more I'd been given it all back.

I took a couple of days off and then I went back to work. That time the relief for me was far greater than those I returned to, and three months later I had the surgery I knew I needed, but this time I knew I wouldn't die.

My return this week, to my community has been better in many ways, I find myself able to enjoy it more. I know that I will need the current cancer sorted at some point but it feels a long way off and this year I don't need to make any steps up a career ladder, I'm where I want to be. I'm content and happy and I feel so lucky and blessed to know that is true. I've returned and I've found I'm accepted and loved, more than I could have hoped for. Perhaps that what peace feels like. I like it.



No comments: