Wednesday, June 05, 2019

The thing with wheelchairs

It's so easy to forget the mountains he climbs each day. As an abled bodied person most people don't see them.
Today, in the rain we set off for the drs, I forgot to get his hat and we got wet.
We move slowly, he is a polite pavement user, he always, always stops for others to pass. He can't manage the chair well, his fine motor skills are as effected as his legs. 

I was reminded of the frustrations of where the dropped curb is, wheely bins left out, dips and cracks in pavements. Simply crossing the road at a speed that he feels comfortable with is hard and at times I felt a bit dangerous, I was there to stop traffic, those is cars going significantly faster than the 30 or 20 miles indicated. On our journey which was less than a third of a mile, took us well over 20 minutes and when the path narrowed I stood in the road. I was glad the long cars that often stick into to road from a drive didn't get scratched, and I watched in admiration as he carefully, patiently navigated each part. I felt empathy and pride. 

I wanted to put something on Facebook about being more considerate of where you put your bins. I didn't. 

Then later in the day I stepped backwards onto a pavement and was nearly mown down by someone on a mobility scooter, obviously happy with their fine motor skills and not so worried about the 20 mile an hour speed limit on the road. 


No comments: