Friday, August 09, 2019

Going back to my original home

Not tomorrow, but the day after I go home.
The original one, well nearly.

I had a very happy childhood, I don't have any bad memories from my earliest years. I remember love and joy, space and family. Our dog and seeking attention from my brother and sister and sometimes mum and dad.

I've been told we didn't have a lot of money but I never felt poor or that I was missing out, because I wasn't and I didn't.

My parents gave me that and I will forever be grateful.

Naturally things change, I got older and life became more complicated but that start was the best anyone could wish for. I started off happy and optimistic and that habit won't go away. Perhaps that is why when a few years ago the unhappiness was daily and my daughter was suffering we changed things. I'm so glad we did. Me and my little family took decisive action.

I am happy and content almost all of the time these days.

And perhaps that is why I'm nervous about going home. When did they stop being happy?

Of course we laugh and enjoy life as best we can but there is a deep sadness that remains. It's easy to think it began when my brother died. No parent can truly be happy again after that. That would make sense. And how can you be happy when you have been forced to live a life that is less than you anticipated. My dad, barley able to feed himself, carers in and out of the house, limits on daily activities. Not the retirement they had in mind. My sister, still a stones throw away, bound by her belief that she has to be there, to visit, to listen, to send her children around. The negativity that surrounds their daily grind. I can't look.

Is it wrong of me to want to escape that, to have gone so far away?

It is in no small measure a selfish thing to do, to have gone away. I didn't know when I set off to start a life in London that that was what I was doing. It was the biggest step I'd ever taken. And each year on my brother's anniversary I knew I was so very far away.
I got on with it. I went to work and I had a normal day and I called home. It is a day they let themselves be openly sad. They allow it to fall around them on that day and don't try to pretend and on that day I pretend the most. I pretend that it is any other day, a normal day and it is so far from it.

So I'm going back for my visit, I'm feeling anxious and steeling myself to absorb what needs to be, or take up what I can while I'm there. I intend to listen more than talk, I intend to sit on my dad's bed and listen to music with him. To walk with my mum and the dog, to get my mum to do something new and different and to try and laugh a belly laugh, but not at my mum's expense (cheap shot). I intend to go to mass with my mum and hold her hand. I intend to encourage my daughter to talk to my dad, as best she can. I hope that by doing that, even for just a short time I can bring some happiness into their lives. And as I type that I know I will, by virtue of being their daughter and having come home to visit. And then I will go again and leave a gap.




No comments: