Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Fragility

I visited my uncle this week, he has moved into a new home, much nearer one of his children. He has never been a strong looking man, a small frame in many ways, soft features and a gentle nature.
I know him as a kind and generous man, I don't agree with much of his politics but we have happily skirted around this, we have theatre in common and we have enjoyed meeting to go for a number of years.
Now he is frail, and is doing his best to not show it.

Along with his change, I saw over the time with my mum and dad that they too have become more fragile in many ways. Unable to do as much, unable to see the positives, unable to communicate and unable to see much joy.

My dad asked me to try to stay positive, no matter what happens.

We were all fragile at times, all easily bruised and occasionally the self protection made each of us snap, angry, lack empathy. It was a hard time, it was difficult to see and it was time I'm glad I had.




No comments: