Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Recovery is a long road

I don't have post traumatic stress disorder, I do however flash back to those days in hospital and the overwhelming fear of being there again.
Recovery of the body is slow and not always complete and recovery of the mind is even slower and I'm sure never complete.
I am doing fine, I am happy most of the time and I can keep the enemy at bay with a mix of love family, friends and a whole lot of work. I enjoy worrying about work and how to improve the school I work in. I enjoy pondering what thing I can potentially fix or change so that the students in our care have a slightly better experience. In the grand scheme of things I wonder if I make much of s difference, but I make some and on days like today, that's enough.
I am there for people, I like that too. I suspect I've missed some signs and missed a few cries for help, but generally I think I do ok at that too.
I enjoyed being a coach the other day, I enjoyed saying yes to a worry and easing someones mind. I enjoy knowing I'm part of this world.
I let all this take the place of the small and persistent voice that reminds me of how my body could change all that and how easily my life could become a long and drawn out experience of asking for help, request and demands. Like my dad. Although over time he does some of those smaller things, it takes him so much energy to write a short email.
I hope he knows that when he reaches out it matters to me

I think I'll tell him.

No comments: