Friday, January 03, 2020

my aunty

I got in from a meal on the top of a mountain and saw a message from my mum about my aunty. She doesn't have long. I cried, and the next morning heard she had died on Christmas Eve. My thoughts quickly floated to flights back and words left unsaid. They tripped into the fear I've had since the day I left, to someone I love leaving this earth while I'm so very far away I want to tell her what a wonderful person she was.
How she always showed me joy and positivity. She had her full share of tragedy but never once let that be a burden she imposed on others, not to my knowledge. She always laughed and smiled. Always hugged. My expectation of her is always one of joy and peace. She exuded an attitude of stepping forward, of today is this day. This is the right day. This is the only day you can rely on. I hope she knows what power that holds. What importance that gives, what an impression it leaves when you sometimes don't know what foot you should put first.  She was a matriarch of subtlety and I hope in my life I am able to show that strength.
I'll miss her greatly.

No comments: