Saturday, January 30, 2021

gifts make memories

 I'm not very good at buying gifts. I try but I over think some, under think others, am often crippled by the need for it to be useful, good, mean something. I suspect I'm not alone in this. 

I've been noticing gift giving, surprise gifts and the joy it gives those who give. A few months ago I gave my friend a pen, an ordinary pen but the moment and the reason meant a lot to her. And I've smiled at the intention to give a bottle of wine, not from me or to me, but somehow it was for me. 

This week I put on a necklace that my friend bought me before I left for a new life, it makes me think of her every time I see it, hold it. I folded the pyjamas that a group of wonderful friends (name of our WhatsApp group) bought me when I got out of hospital after my second and more troublesome brain tumour. The earrings that work colleagues gave me to say goodbye, the soap I wash my hands with and everyday I see a flag that was bought for my daughter which meant the world to her. These and many more gifts surround me and remind me of the love that surrounds me. 


No comments: