Monday, June 11, 2012

what would you do if time ran out at 49?


An odd letter came for me today. Those of us who know, know that the print from your hospital when you don't have an appointment due is likely to take your breath away.

I have a new Dr now and I've asked to know my life expectancy. Not because I want to know but because for our plan to adopt we need to be able to tell any adoption agency (at least all the ones we have asked)

I have always been aware that I don't technically have as long as a 'normal' person but I assume that would be about 65. When our current government changed the retirement age I wondered if I would ever get to it. My father has had to through ill health. Money wise thank god he had his pension because he needs it. Will I see retirement, not according to the medium life expectancy?

I quote

"The actuarial life expectancy of patients with Von Hippel-Lindau is 49 years of age. More recent data suggests that those patients enrolled in the screening programme can expect a life-expectancy of 52 years median." There is more, about renal cell carcinoma which I don't currently have and now I might live longer...



Shit.

No comments: