Friday, June 08, 2012

Who needs a spleen?

The next stage in the saga of the family's health.

Dad is having surgery in July; that is of course if that makes sense and as yet we don't know if it does. Those of you who know about the pancreas will also know that once it is gone for there is very little that can be done. The tumour that started in the tail of his pancreas is now very big, last scan it was 5cm. So who have surgery or not... not my choice and it would appear not really my father's either.

They will have to take out his spleen too. I'm fascinated by the fact that in these modern times you don't need a spleen. 1 extra little tablet will be added to his massive load anyway.

I'm in a spiral again. I'm trying not to dwell and not to let myself feel too caught up in it but I wonder most hours if he is going to make it through. The worst thing is I know that part of all of us, dad, my sister, my mum and me are aware that if he does die, as horrible as this sounds that may not be the worst outcome.

I don't want my dad to die but I also know how miserable his life is at times and I don't know how much more he could cope with. His body isn't his own, his life isn't his in so many ways and if he gets to be free again, well. I don't know how else to express it but I don't know how much more any of us can do.

This disease has made us all strong and weak at the same time.

My mum has to go through so much.

No comments: